How to Store Cheese: Cheese Care and Storage
Contrary to how it might look (i.e. inanimate) cheese is alive! Cheeses, like fruit and wine, ripen and change over time. With the right selection from us and the right TLC from you, you can keep your cheese in top notch condition!
How to wrap your cheese
Cheese should be kept wrapped in the cheese paper that we send it to you in. The paper is specially designed to allow the cheese to breathe and not get dried out. If the paper gets tossed, don't despair! The next best thing to wrap your cheese in is a layer parchment paper with another layer of saran wrap over the parchment to keep it from drying. The next best thing is foil. DO NOT wrap your cheese directly in plastic or saran! The fats in the cheese interact with the plastic and cause a stale, plastic-y flavor to develop. You can buy spare cheese wrapping paper right from us.
How long your cheese will last
Soft cheeses should be eaten more quickly than aged cheeses - a good general rule of thumb is that soft cheese should be eaten within 2 weeks of receipt, and more aged cheeses can last in the fridge for a few weeks. The firmer the cheese is, and the less moisture it has, the longer it will keep. You can keep aged cheeses for a REALLY long time... (2 months or more) They might develop surface mold on the cut surface, but they're still safe to eat - just trim that mold off!
How to serve cheese
To best enjoy any cheese, eat it at room temperature. We like to keep it out for an hour or so before serving to allow the flavors to fully express themselves.
How to store cheese
Keep your cheese in the fridge when it's not being served. The colder temperatures will stabilize the cheese and keep it from ripening too quickly. However, don't freeze cheese! Freezing cheese can alter the flavor and texture in unappetizing ways.
What about mold? Is it okay to eat moldy cheese?
All of the mold on cheese is technically edible. However there are certain kinds of mold that are more or less desirable. Should any mold develop on the cut surface of the cheese, don't worry, and DON'T throw the cheese away! Simply trim away the surface mold and then keep on enjoying that glorious wedge! If you see blue, green, or gray-ish mold on the rind of a soft-ripened cheese, that is edible and is just a part of the natural aging process. These molds show up from time to time and are not indicative of any defect.