Shelburne Farms was established in 1886 when Dr William Seward and Lila Vanderbilt Webb began acquiring farmland around Lake Champlain to create a model agriculture estate. Frederick Law Olmsted created designs for the landscaping of the farm, and renowned architect Robert H Robertson designed four major buildings on the property: The Farm Barn, Breeding Barn, Coach Barn, and Shelburne House. By the early 1900's, the Webb's 3,800 acre farm had become a grand family estate as well as a grand and successful experiment in agriculture. However by the 1910's, the farming operations had begun to subside, and for the next five decades the family would struggle with how to reinvent this farm for another era of life in America.
In 1972, Shelburne Farms began that next era when descendants of the Webb family founded a non-profit dedicated to sustainable agriculture and education. Shelburne Farms is now widely known for its innovative educational programs for students of all ages - ranging from young children to the elderly. As stewards of the property, the non-profit has placed much of the land under conservation easements, and in 2001 the property became a National Historic Landmark. Cheesemaking is part of their sustainable agriculture vision - the farm is home to a herd of grass-fed Brown Swiss cows whose raw, organic milk is converted into cheddar cheese. Shelburne Farms now produces over 170,000 pounds of cheese annually.
Cheeses From This Farm
- Shelburne Cheddar Two Year Aged